Monday, November 9, 2009

The frame slowly takes shape


After finally deciding that the frame should accommodate a 24" width box, I hooked-up the shop vac to the radial arm saw dust shroud and started measuring frame members. The usual rules of measure-twice-cut-once had been followed, except for the miscalculation on the width. I really did measure several times, did the math about the beam overlaps, fenders and the like and still made a small mistake. I should have cut the frame cross-members at 38" rather than 36". This small mistake would mean a slight design problem because my cross-members would not have an extension of 1.5" over the "struts." If you're reading this, does it make any sense? (Pictured: Frame members laid out upside down)



Regardless, I pressed on by tapping the struts and installing the axle mounts with the jig in place. I then placed the frame members together on the floor in a layout that would mimic the final width and height of the trailer. The longer I looked at it with a 36" span, the more I realized that my initial drawing was the better one. The trailer, at least at this stage and at the proposed 30" width, seems more aesthetically pleasing. Or, that's my excuse, anyway.

(Pictured: Final frame schematic)

1 comment: