Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Accidental discovery

I suppose many discoveries are accidental. In my previous post, I noted that I was contemplating two different joints for the frame. A notch or a double notch. Turns out that these are called lap joints and they have many variants. and half-lap joints. And, according to good friend, amateur woodworker and all around smart guy, Michael, that the lap joint, especially when secured with a pin or dowel and glue is about as strong a joint as you can make with wood. He noted that you would have grain running in three different directions giving the most strength possible. So, I'm going with it. Lots more work cutting the joints, but it should turn out very nice.

One thing I am realizing, and you have to if you are following the tedium here, is that every corner turned and everything learned results in a delay of the project. Or, if not delay--I have no deadline--then certainly a stretching out to the infinite horizon the end of the project.

Pictured is the "cross-lap joint" in rough form. In final form, the two edges will be flush, the joint glued and will include a dowel or pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment