Monday, October 26, 2009

Pedal to the metal


I stopped by The Steel Yard today while running other errands. The ever helpful Lance was there, ready to put the Omada H-4013 to good use. I now have enough metal plates for at least three trailers, though I will have to do some further cutting. Seems Lance was reluctant to put his hand in this gigantic hydraulic scissor machine to get all of the cuts needed.
The experience was a good lesson in "right tool for the job." If you have absolutely no other option, hacksaws will work. But, having someone cut these for you and having plates cut for more than one trailer is not only effective and efficient, but it moves the work along much faster.

But, the rest of this should be easier, in part because I made a stop at Harbor Freight Tools. Picked up some saw blades, which should make even hand cutting a bit easier. I had to restrain my desire to purchase a few new tools, especially some sort of power tool for cutting metal and a drill press. They would have come in handy.
Tomorrow should see the completion of the metal fabrication. There are some cuts to make and holes to drill along with sizing the wheel runners. Given the progress, I should have this thing finished by spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment