Friday, October 23, 2009

The challenge of the hand tool only approach

My experiences using a hacksaw to cut out the towing brackets has made it clear that a different approach might make more sense. In other words, I need some power. Here's why.

It's a noble idea to try to work on this project with just hand tools. And, it's possible if you have the right tools. I thought a hacksaw would be enough, especially with a new, sharp blade, to handle the fairly simple cutting. Not so. A standard hacksaw frame is just too shallow to allow the cuts required. There are probably other frames that would work, but a call to the Temple of Hardware, Winks, confirmed that they don't carry them. I was surprised.

Next alternative was a blade for the Skilsaw. Yep, a metal cutting blade is available. How much? More than the entire project will cost. Not a wise use of money if one is only making a single trailer. I could have fooled myself into believing that other trailers would be built, but the blade would probably be placed on the shelf and go unused for some time.

What to do? A call to The Steelyard where I bought the metal proved what I suspected: they will cut the pieces out. So, if I had simply put away my pride when I bought the metal, I could have had all of the pieces cut and ready for final fabrication. As it is, I will have to make a second trip.

That's a benefit of doing a project. You learn how to do the next one better. Or, you simply confirm what you knew instinctively.

No comments:

Post a Comment