Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Testing 1, 2, 3

Between various appointments and grandchild duty, I setup what I hope is the last of the fabrication tests. When you look at the plans, it all seems so simple. A few tools, a vice and a list. Just do things in order and it will all work out. Maybe that's the way it is supposed to work, but for me, it's more experimentation, testing and "lab" work.

Today, I cut some notches in a piece of lumber with the same dimension as the stuff I'm planning to use. I wanted to see what it would be like to actually mill this stuff and put it together. The result? Pretty simple.

Lobnitz says that a notched joint is strong, but a "double" notch joint is not as strong. I'll go with his recommendation. Or, not. Depends upon my desire for a more aesthetic piece, or an aesthetic that is more specific to my interests. This first image is the test piece according to the plans. The next one is what I would prefer, it it were strong enough. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment