Tuesday, October 6, 2009

First steps, material sources


Given the instructions and even the name of the trailer, Bamboo, I thought my first task was to find bamboo. I had a source, Bamboo Craftsman Company just a short ride from the house. I called, but they were not open. Next, I looked at the metal fabrication diagrams. These cover the towing brackets and wheel brackets. I figured the metal I could find at a local hardware store. Not so. There really wasn't anything significant left other than wheels, which I knew I would have to purchase at a local shop.

The spirit of the Bamboo Bike Trailer is to source the components locally and inexpensively. As such, I was hoping to find some decent used wheels. Unfortunately, I had donated a good set of 26" wheels to Community Cycling Center just a year ago. They would have worked fine.

I made a call to this local shop and asked what they had in used wheels. Their representative described the selection. When I described what I was doing and that I really just wanted something cheap, but in decent shape, he said, "You should come in on Sunday when we dismantle donated bikes for parts."


I told him I wasn't around and could he set something aside for me. He said he would call back after he checked the inventory of wheels that were slated for the scrap metal dealer. These were wheels that were not good enough to sell or to use on built-up bikes. They would have been what had been dismantled last Sunday. He called back almost immediately and said he had what he thought would work and they had tires, too. "Does a $5.00 donation per wheel work for you?"

Sure does.

No comments:

Post a Comment