Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The project's purpose


Transportation by bicycle is an old concept, but is only now gaining traction in the United States. In the developing world and in many European countries, bicycles are an essential component of getting to work, to school, buying groceries and carrying goods. (Image from Carry Freedom)

The utility of a bicycle is enhanced by cargo carrying components. For example, racks and saddle bags allow one to carry a limited amount of goods. A trailer, however, greatly expands what might be carried.

With a growing interest in this form of transport, I began investigating bike trailers designed for cargo hauling. Living in Portland, Oregon, exposed me to a number of organizations and individuals using trailers or other modifications to bicycles to transport goods. I finally landed on the Bamboo Bicycle Trailer from Carry Freedom. I was impressed not only with the simple DIY concept, but also the designer's desire to enhance the lives of folks with limited means. He was inspired by a customer using one of his trailers who left it in a Nepalese village where it was used heavily.

The more I thought about the trailer, the more I wanted to build one. I enjoy creating things, though I'm not particularly handy. I do know how to use basic tools and was exposed as a kid to my father's mechanical capabilities. As a car mechanic, he was well versed in the use of tools and understanding how things worked. With that limited background, I downloaded the plans for the Bamboo Bike Trailer.

The longer I thought about the trailer, the more purposeful was my interest. At the risk of being too philosophical, the following sums up my reasons for building the trailer.

  • To expand our family's ability to do more on our bicycles including grocery shopping
  • To satisfy my interests in building a useful object
  • To explore ways in which the bike trailer might be used by others
  • To connect with the Portland, Oregon area's growing bicycle community
  • To have some fun

No comments:

Post a Comment